Recipe: How To Make Your Own Bones
- Add 1 cup of sand, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup cornstarch in a saucepan. You may want to use an old saucepan, as the gritty sand may ruin the finish of a newer pan or remove non-stick coating. Stir the mixture well.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of alum to the mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Place the saucepan on a burner set to medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly. It will begin to turn into a liquid as it heats.
- Remove the mixture from heat after about two to three minutes (I find this usually takes a little longer), or when the mixture has reached a consistency like cookie dough.
- When the mixture has cooled, scoop it onto a clean surface and mold it with your hands into the shape of a bone. Use your imagination to create various shapes resembling leg bones, claws and even skulls.
- Leave the shaped bones in a warm place to dry. After a few days you will have hardened sculptures that will resemble aged and aged bones.
I have used this recipe to make molds. However, I add wood glue to the mixture so it is extra hard when set up. Grease (or use plastic wrap) the inside of your mold and press this mixture into the mold.
It takes several days for it to dry.